Powered By Blogger

Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Taking a Sick Day

     We teachers like to think we are invincible, but sometimes those nasty germs get us! What to do? Teach it off? Stay home? I always ask myself, "Would I feel better if I stayed home?" If the answer is, "yes", then I stay home. If the answer is, "no". I go to work.

      I think all of us, at some point, say, "It's just easier to go to work, than to make sub plans." Well, your health is more important than dragging yourself to work, getting worse, and spreading your germs. I've learned to keep sub plans--one for each day of the week--on my computers at school and at home. Sometimes, at the end of a school day, I know there is no way I'm going to make it in to school the next day. I can print up a lesson plan, prep for everything, and then go home and rest--without having to worry about getting up early to get plans ready for the day. Other times, I realize at night, I'm just not going to feel better in the morning--such as when I lose my voice. I print up the sub plans--sometimes in the case of laryngitis I know I am going to be out two days--and head out to school early. I get things set up and then leave! (If possibe, I try to get the school's favorite sub to fill in for me. She subs for all of us and knows the kids. I know the students will be in good hands with her, discipline problems will be handled, and parent phone calls returned!) The students will survive without having their teacher for a day or two. And who knows, they might even appreciate you when you return.

No comments: